Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Breastfeeding

So this pregnancy is the 4th. I attempted to breastfeed for my 1st daughter Madison. I remember people saying it hurts, but you get use to the pain.

What they didn't tell me was what I would run into. In the hospital I tried to get help from the nurses explaining that it was really really painful and that I was hoping they could check to see if I was doing it correctly. They paid more attention to the lady complaining every 5 minutes in the room, that I ended up going home about 24 hours after giving birth to Madison.

Once I was home I researched different reasons why the breast would hurt and what could I do to make sure it was not that painful again. Then I remembered back to my little brother. When he was born in 1978, I remember my mom telling me years later he was tongue tied. So I stuck my finger in Madison's mouth sure enough she had a restrictive or tight frenulum which impaired the ability of the tongue to move properly to effectively breastfeed. The frenulum is a piece of tissue that attaches the tongue to the floor of the mouth.

Being that no one checked this out at the hospital I pumped and pumped breast milk for her to make sure she got what she needed for those most important days. The problem I endured was I broke 4 breast pumps and finally had to give in. :( That gets costly after a while.

One her two week well baby checkup the Dr fixed the issue, but by then it was too late. Madison fed off my breast milk for at least a week and a half. :( But some will tell you it is the most important thing for her to do at that time.

This time around for baby #4, I will attempt it again. My first thing is to check and make sure she is not tongue tied. Hoping once that checks out we can be on the road to a great bonding experience. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment